- De Guingand Bowl: 7th – 9th June 2019
- Cowes-Dinard-St Malo: 12th – 15th July 2019
- Channel Race: 27th – 28th July 2019
- Cherbourg Race: 6th – 8th September 2019
RORC (Royal Ocean Racing Club) is the premier offshore racing authority organising many iconic races around the globe. Bi-annually, RORC runs the Rolex Fastnet, one of the worlds’ most iconic races. This race makes up one race of the season with many others combining to create a season championship. Each race follows a different course, each unique in its set of challenges.
Polka Sailing has been extremely competitive over the last few seasons, placing highly amongst the Sailing School boats and coming 3rd in that class in 2017 Fastnet. Our meticulously well maintained Beneteau is fully race-prepared and looking for enthusiastic crew to help better her previous results.
In 2019 we will be entering all UK based RORC races alongside running our Fastnet campaign. This is the ideal opportunity to get involved with offshore racing without having to commit huge amounts of time. All available races are listed above, just select the ones you’d like to be part of.
If you’re looking to actively contribute to a competitive team, we’d love you to welcome you aboard.
Get in Touch if you have any questions or want to talk more about the races, format etc.
Polka – GBR912R
Polka is a meticulously maintained Beneteau First 34.7, fully race prepared. She has a carbon mast and rod rigging and flies an asymmetric spinnaker from a retractable carbon bowsprit.
We carry a full race sail inventory including:
- Carbon Membrane Main Sail
- Membrane Jibs (No. 1 & No. 3)
- Heavy Weather Jib
- Storm Jib
- Code 0 Asymmetric
- A2 Asymmetric
- A4 Asymmetric
Polka is MCA coded and compliant with ISAF category 1 offshore racing. She carries all the latest safety equipment, above and beyond the requirements of both bodies. All crew whilst onboard have a Spinlock Pro-sensor lifejacket allocated for their use. (The Skippers rules when to wear them will be applied at all times).
We sail from Hamble Yacht Services. Our adventures start here! Hamble Yacht Services offers easy access from the M27, has plenty of parking and nearby access to the bars and restaurants of Hamble.
There’s plenty of free parking on site.
[map id=”1″ is_responsive=”yes”]
What’s included / what to bring
All our racing options include:
- Accommodation on board the yacht, including meals, drinks and snack (meals and drinks ashore are not included)
- Lifejacket and safety harness
- All race entry fees
- All yacht expenses (berthing & fuel)
- Professionally qualified, insured Skipper
- Polka Sailing Team Polo shirt
What you’ll need to bring:
- Enthusiasm and a willingness to get involved!
- Wet weather gear – An outer, waterproof layer, with a hood
Marine Superstore has good pricing & normally a good ‘Sail Rail‘. We can also secure a discount on full price Musto clothing. Get in touch to find out more.
- Several warm layers
- Sailing gloves (not just for warmth, for handling ropes)
- Waterproof, non-marking boots
- Non-marking shoes or trainers
- Sunhat (or cap)
- Sunglasses – polarised are best as they got glare
- Sleeping bag
- Quick drying towel
For offshore racing, we also recommend:
- Warm hat for night sailing (in addition to a sunhat)
- AIS PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) – Click here for options
- Eye mask and earplugs (may help you sleep better when off watch!)