Advanced training for more experienced skippers building on the Day Skipper course, the RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster theory course looks at more detailed navigational techniques, specifically for those looking to undertake longer passages and, in particular, navigation at night. For those who have built up some miles and are looking to the next stage of their boating journey, the RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster theory is a great step and essential preparation for the Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster and Yachtmaster offshore practical exam.
You’ll hone your skills in lights and shapes, course shaping and plotting and tidal knowledge including secondary ports and tide gates. Additionally, you will learn how to take and interpret weather forecasts and to plot weather systems. You’ll extend your collision regulation knowledge and understand the requirements for arriving and entering a foreign port. All this and much much more.
As with the Day Skipper shorebased course, the RYA’s specially designed chart plotter software will be used during the course to give you a real taste of modern electronic navigation.
The course is taught over 40 hours with three exam papers. It can be covered as classroom sessions, by distance learning or a combination of both.
Course topics include:
- position fixing
- course shaping and plotting
- tidal knowledge
- use of almanacs and admiralty publications
- electronic position finding equipment
- taking and interpreting forecasts
- plotting weather systems
- weather predictions using a barometer and by observation
- collision regulations
- customs and excise regulations for cruising abroad
The course also allows some time for revision of the basics and then moves on to advanced navigation techniques.
Classroom facilities & location
Our RYA shore-based classes are run from the fabulous facilities at Godalming College. Learning in a group classroom environment is fun and offers a way to make new sailing friends as well as pick up tips’n’tricks from like-minded people.
It’s a relaxed environment and you’ll have plenty of time to ask the instructor questions.
Godalming College, Tuesley Lane, Godalming, Surrey. GU7 1RS
There’s plenty of free parking on site.
Online Course Details
This option allows you to study at your own pace and start at a time of your choosing. You’ll get your login details once full course payment has been received, usually within 24hrs of booking. There is a 6-month time limit to complete the course once you’ve activated your ID, however, this can be extended for a small admin fee (£30) should you choose to.
The online course costs are:
- £310 per person for the RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster™ theory
- £295 per person for the RYA Day Skipper theory
Receive a 10% discount if booking 2 online courses and 15% discount if booking 3 or more
You will receive an email once the deposit has been paid with a link to pay the balance. Once cleared funds have been received, your account will be set up for you to access the online course material. The accompanying course notes and plotter kit will be shipped to you within 24hrs.
- Your RYA Pack including all course materials and Plotter Kit will be sent out to you within 24hrs of receiving cleared payment of the course fees
- Help via email, phone or Skype 7 days a week 0700 until 1900 UK
- Seven days opt out with a full refund on return of the training materials
- Up to two years access to learning materials after completion.
- Your enrolment lasts for three years
- Work when you like, in your own time
- Six months free access with the option to extend in six monthly intervals
- The course can be completed in as little as 60 hours
- RYA charts & Almanac
- RYA plotter simulator
- Appropriate RYA course notes and handbook
- Free animated boat handling lessons
- Free mini radar simulator
- Optional voiceover gives you the choice
- Feedback and help from our fulltime instructors for 18 hours a day seven days a week.
You can try the online course for FREE by clicking here:
Terms & Conditions